mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR)
• People who are interested in an in-depth exploration of mindfulness with an emphasis on stress reduction
• Attendance at all 8 sessions and 1 full-day retreat is expected
• Participants are also highly recommended to commit to at least 45 – 60 minutes of daily practice to get the most benefit from this course
* We highly recommend that you complete the Mindfulness Foundation Course (MFC) before you attend the MBSR course to reap the full benefits.
Duration: 2.5 hours per session x 8 sessions, and 1 full-day retreat (7.5 hours)
The Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) program was developed in 1979 by Dr Jon Kabat-Zinn at the Stress Reduction Clinic, University of Massachusetts Medical School. It is now offered in medical centres, hospitals, clinics, corporations, schools, prisons and other settings worldwide. It is a secular, scientifically-informed complement to traditional medical and psychological approaches that allows individuals to take charge of their lives for greater balance, ease and peace of mind.
It is a highly participatory and structured course, which uses relatively intensive training in mindfulness practices as the core, to teach people how to take better care of themselves and enjoy healthier and more adaptive lives.
• Enhanced ability to cope effectively with stress
• Reduction of depression and anxiety
• Improved well-being and sleep quality
What will you learn?
Session 1: Introduction to Mindfulness
Session 2: Perception Matters
Session 3: Being Present
Session 4: Stress Reactivity
Session 5: Stress Response
Session 6: Interpersonal Mindfulness
Session 7: Applying Mindfulness in Daily Life
Session 8: Maintaining Momentum in Mindfulness
What is included?
• Guided instruction in mindfulness meditation practices (choice of sitting on a chair or cushion)
• Gentle stretching and mindful movements
• Highly participatory, group dialogue and discussions aimed at enhancing awareness in daily life
• Daily mindfulness assignments
• Downloadable daily practice audio files
• Handouts each session
($110 for eligible seniors under the National Silver Academy (NSA) subsidy)
* NSA subsidy eligibility: Singapore Citizen or Permanent Resident 50 years and above (in year of conducted course)
SkillsFuture Credit may be applied towards this course.
What is Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction? (credits to MichelleDuValMindfulness)
More questions? Please visit our FAQ page.