mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR)
• People who are interested in an in-depth exploration of mindfulness with an emphasis on stress reduction
• Attendance at all eight sessions and one full-day retreat is expected
• Participants are also highly recommended to commit to at least 45 – 60 minutes of daily practice to get the most benefit from this course
* We highly recommend that you complete the Mindfulness Foundation Course (MFC) before you attend the MBSR course to reap the full benefits.
Duration: Two-and-a-half hours per session x eight sessions and one full-day retreat
The Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) programme was developed in 1979 by Dr Jon Kabat-Zinn at the Stress Reduction Clinic, University of Massachusetts Medical School. It is offered in medical centres, hospitals, clinics, corporations, schools, prisons and other settings worldwide. It is a scientifically informed complement to traditional medical and psychological approaches that allow individuals to take charge of their lives for greater balance, ease and peace of mind.
It is a highly participatory and structured course, which uses intensive training in mindfulness practices as the core, to teach people how to take better care of themselves and to enjoy healthier and more adaptive lives.
• Enhances the ability to cope with stress effectively
• Reduces depression and anxiety
• Improves well-being and sleep quality
What will you learn?
Session 1: Introduction to mindfulness
Session 2: Perception matters
Session 3: Power of being present
Session 4: Understanding stress reactivity
Session 5: Choosing a response
Session 6: Applying mindful communications
Session 7: Integrating mindfulness in daily lives
Session 8: Maintaining momentum in mindfulness
What is included?
• Guidance on mindfulness meditation practices (choice of sitting on a chair or cushion)
• Gentle stretching and mindful movements
• Highly participatory, group dialogue and discussions aimed at enhancing awareness in daily life
• Daily mindfulness assignments
• Downloadable daily practice audio files
• Handouts of each session
($110 for eligible seniors under the National Silver Academy (NSA) subsidy)
* NSA-subsidy eligibility: Singapore Citizen or Permanent Resident 50 years and above (in year of conducted course)
SkillsFuture Credit may be applied towards this course.
What is Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction? (credits to MichelleDuValMindfulness)