mindfulness for teens
.b stands for “Stop, Breathe and Be!” This simple act of mindfulness serves to raise the awareness of youths where they learn how to direct their attention to their experience as it is unfolding, moment-by-moment, with open-minded curiosity and acceptance.
The .b mindfulness course brings mindfulness to life in a way that is fun, engaging and useful in their daily lives. Specially designed by experienced classroom teachers and mindfulness practitioners in the UK, .b mindfulness is the flagship course of the Mindfulness in Schools Project (www.mindfulnessinschools.org). Since its inception in 2007, the course has been taught in over 12 countries, and has been evaluated positively by the University of Cambridge and Oxford Brookes.
Number of sessions: 4
Hours per session: 2 hours
Mindfulness in Schools | Tabitha Sawyer | TEDxCardiff
- Enhanced well-being¹
- Improved attention, inhibition and grades²
- Reduced negative affect and improved meta-cognition³
Evidence from previous course (n=18) References 1 Zoogman, S., Goldberg, S., Hoyt, W. and Miller, L. (2014). Mindfulness Interventions with Youth: A Meta-Analysis. Mindfulness, 6(2), pp.290-302. 2 Zenner, C., Herrnleben-Kurz, S. and Walach, H. (2014). Mindfulness-based interventions in schools – a systematic review and meta-analysis. Frontiers in Psychology, 5. 3 Vickery, C. and Dorjee, D. (2016). Mindfulness Training in Primary Schools Decreases Negative Affect and Increases Meta-Cognition in Children. Frontiers in Psychology, 6.
What you will learn,
- To feel happier and calmer
- To improve one’s concentration and focus, in classes, in exams and tests, on the sports field, when playing games, when paying attention and listening to others
- To work with difficult mental states such as depressive, ruminative and anxious thoughts and low moods
- To cope with the everyday stresses and strains of adolescent life such as exams, relationships, sleep problems and family issues
What will this course include?
- Scientific knowledge
- PowerPoint lessons with a variety of film clips
- Short mindfulness meditation practices
- Fun-filled activities and games to introduce mindfulness concepts
- Discussion and exploration of experiences
- Daily practice encouragement and support (and therefore integration into life beyond school)
Who Is This Course For?
- For teens 12-15 years
- The child is expected to commit to attending all 4 sessions, with a minimum suggested duration of at least 5 minutes of daily practice
- At least one parent will be required to attend the course with the child; the Mindful Parenting course will be conducted in a separate classroom
- The registered parent is to attend all 4 sessions. Registration is not transferable between spouses; please ensure that the same registered parent can attend all sessions.
- 1 Parent + 1 Child: $320
- 1 Parent + 2 Children: $420
- 2 Parents + 1 Child: $420
- 2 Parents + 2 Children: $480