mindfulness-based cognitive therapy (MBCT)
• People who are interested in applying MBCT techniques to improve their physical and mental well-being
• People who are interested in an in-depth exploration of mindfulness with a focus on a combination of guided mindfulness and cognitive exercises
• Participants are highly encouraged to commit to attending all 8 sessions and 1 full-day retreat, as well as engaging in at least 45-60 minutes of daily practice to gain the most benefit from this course
Duration: 2.5 hours per session x 8 sessions, and 1 full-day retreat.
This course combines the ideas of cognitive therapy with mindfulness practices. It was originally designed to help people who suffer from repeated bouts of depression, but it is increasingly recognised as a way that anyone can use to deal more skilfully with the stresses and strains of daily living.
MBCT was developed by Zindel Segal, Mark Williams and other psychology experts, partially based on Jon Kabat-Zinn’s Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) program. It is the right course for you if you are interested in an opportunity to learn a new way of relating to unwanted thoughts and feelings. You will develop powerful skills to respond to them in an intentional and skilful manner.
• Reduction in depression
• Enhanced ability to cope effectively with stress
• Improved well-being and sleep quality
What will you learn?
Session 1: Waking Up from Autopilot
Session 2: Another Way of Being
Session 3: Gathering the Scattered Mind
Session 4: Recognising Reactivity
Session 5: Allowing and Letting Be
Session 6: Responding Skilfully: Thoughts are Not Facts
Session 7: How Can I Best Take Care of Myself
Session 8: Mindfulness for Life
What is included?
• Guided instruction in mindfulness meditation practices (choice of sitting on a chair / cushion / yoga mat)
• Highly participatory group dialogue and discussions aimed at enhancing your understanding of your own mind’s patterns and habits
• Daily mindfulness assignments
• Downloadable daily practice audio files
• Handouts each session
($110 for eligible seniors under the National Silver Academy (NSA) subsidy)
* NSA subsidy eligibility: Singapore Citizen or Permanent Resident 50 years and above (in year of conducted course)
SkillsFuture Credit may be applied towards this course.
The Science of Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy and Depression (credits to the Oxford Mindfulness Centre)