mindfulness-based cognitive therapy (MBCT)
Mindfulness-based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) combines the ideas of cognitive therapy with mindfulness practices. The MBCT programme was originally designed to help people who suffer from repeated bouts of depression, but is increasingly recognised as a way that anyone can use to deal more skillfully with the stresses and strains of daily living.
MBCT was developed by Zendel Segal et al., based on Jon Kabat-Zinn’s
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) Programme. It is for those interested in an opportunity to learn a new way of relating to unwanted thoughts and feelings and powerful skills for responding to them in an intentional and skillful manner.
- Number of sessions: 8
- Hours per session: 2 hours
- Inclusive of a Full Day Retreat: 6 hours
The mindful way through depression: Zindel Segal at TEDxUTSC
- Reduces depression
- Enhances ability to cope effectively with stress
- Improves well-being and sleep quality
In this course, we will investigate the following themes:
Session 1: Awareness and Automatic Pilot
Session 2: Living in Our Heads
Session 3: Gathering the Scattered Mind
Session 4: Recognising Aversion
Session 5: Allowing/Letting Be
Session 6: Thoughts Are Not Facts
Session 7: How Can I Best Take Care of Myself
Session 8: Maintaining and Extending New Learning
What will this course include?
- Guided instruction in mindfulness meditation practices (choice of sitting on a chair/cushion/yoga mat)
- Highly participatory, group dialogue and discussions aimed at understanding our own mind patterns and habits
- Daily mindfulness assignments
- Downloadable daily practice audio files
- Handouts will be given each session
Who Is This Course For?
- This course is for anyone interested in applying MBCT techniques to improve their physical and mental well-being.
- It is for people who are interested in an in-depth exploration of mindfulness with a focus on a combination of both guided mindfulness and cognitive exercises.
- Participants are highly encouraged to commit to attending all 8 sessions and 1 all-day retreat, as well as engaging in at least 45-60 minutes of daily practice to gain the most benefit from this course.
($110 for eligible seniors* under the National Silver Academy (NSA) subsidy)
*NSA subsidy eligibility
Singapore Citizen or Permanent Resident 50 years and above (in year of conducted course)
SkillsFuture Credit may be applied towards this course